Dictionary.com defines five as:
- a cardinal number, four plus one.
- a symbol for this number, as 5 or V.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- a playing card, die face, or half of a domino face with five pips.
- Informal. a five-dollar bill: Can you give me two fives for a ten?
- amounting to five in number.
- take five, Informal. to take a brief respite.
Really, Five is the amount of bugs YOU, yes YOU, will work on today. This is a new promotion by Daniel Holbach, called 5-A-Day. What it breaks down to is this…You will pick 5 bugs per day to work on. Whether you are a developer or not, there is much fun to be had for everybody! And the great thing is, Daniel even created a nice utility to help you show off the work you are doing. It is super easy to get involved with and requires only the amount of time you want to give. If you aren’t a developer, pick 5 bugs marked as New, and see if you can recreate the issue at hand, if so, mark the bug as Confirmed and add you comments. If you can’t confirm it, mark the bug as Incomplete and add your comments. If you are a developer, fix some bugs, create some patches, or upload fixes that are already available.
Requirements? Yes, there are a couple that I can think of.
- Have a Launchpad account
- Upload your SSH key to Launchpad
- Make sure you have the bzr package installed
- Make sure you have a few minutes to provide in order to work on the 5 bugs you selected
That’s really it, and when you get up and going, you can use the update-signature utility to let everyone know what you are working on by adding the signature to your email, or by exporting the signature to HTML and attaching it to your blog post, like this:
My 5 today: Bug 185407 (kdenetwork-kde4), Bug 183266 (kdegraphics-kde4), Bug 42048 (kdebase, firefox), Bug 74653 (poppler, kdegraphics), Bug 114772 (kdenetwork)
Do 5 a day – every day! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day
So take five, come back, select five, complete five, then gimme five!
P.S. I am so glad that my coaches could only count to 2 during my football career, could you imaging 5-a-days? /me passes out